Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Review of reviewing

After reviewing the Umi and Umikumakahi systems I realized a couple of things.

The Good:

Reviewing other people's code can give great incite to your own current project. I know that my group had problems implementing the interface in the correct manner, however I got some ideas on how to better design my system with the interface after looking at others code. Also the responses from the reviewers of my system gave me more incite on how to better improve my system.

The Bad:

Reviewing these systems thoroughly was very time consuming. This can be attributed to the great depth of detail that the reviews cover. Everything from the initial package to the system structure is carefully analyzed which allows for very helpful feed back on all aspects of the system.

Lessons Learned:

After reviewing the Umikumakahi system I realized the importance of comments in the code. In this system there are no comments in the code making it near impossible to understand in a decent amount of time. Occasionally the thought of "if I don't comment here, it won't make a big deal since this is a minor line of code" crosses my head. But after reviewing this system and seeing how impossible it is to understand, I have told myself to comment at all possible locations that might be hard for an outside reviewer to understand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment